This dress was made for a friend who is much more curvaceous than I am, so it’ll look a lot better on her. =) We started planning this dress after Halloween last year since she and her husband would be the perfect Buttercup and Wesley couple. No, seriously, they would be amazing!
I volunteered to make the dress. Fast forward through many other sewing projects and dress incarnations (Buttercup’s riding dress is really not the most flattering design) and we settled on a princess dress that could also double as a “Game of Thrones” dress.
Total cost for this project:
Patterns: bought at Joann’s on sale for $1 each. I stalk their website for sales.
Fabric: 8 yards of green crepe-back satin = $40 (again, on sale)
Lining: 1 yard blue lining from the remnant bin ($3?) and 1 yard black lining ($2?) I had in my stash for my yet-to-be-constructed Arwen chase coat…
I loved how the skirt and bodice looked when I constructed them separately….and then it came time to join them. I did something wrong because the waist is all bumpy. But after ripping out the seam twice, I was too tired to figure out a way to fix it. No matter, this dress looks infinitely better with a belt anyway.
Sadly, I didn’t get this dress to her in time for this Halloween (but she’s smart and had already planned a Steampunk outfit!). Pardon my frumpy, tired poses. These pictures were taken then night I finished the dress, which I promptly sent out to Alaska the next day. Yeah, it’s a little weird that I tried on clothes that I send to other people, but I don’t have a dress form and I wanted to make sure it would look somewhat like a decent dress. Because I really can’t gauge what it will look like on a person if all I see is this:
…that’s a whole lotta dress.